Shopping can be a lot of fun, or a horrible experience when you look at that bank statement. So I decided to share some wisdom on little ways I know to save money when shopping.
1. Set a budget. If you love shopping you might hate to think about this, but this is the best way to not spend your rent money when you are out shopping. Look at your paycheck and make a clear decision on how much you can really spend. The best way to keep yourself to this budget is to have it in cash, that way you can really see if you can afford something or not.
2. Know what you want. Have an idea of what you want to buy before you go to the mall. One of the things I love to do is spend hours on Pinterest for style inspiration and that way I have an idea of what I'm looking for and not become the aimless wanderer, I mean shopper. If I don't see anything I love I leave. ;)
3. Wait for holiday sales. 90% of stores have some type of sale during national holidays, so if you see a near-by holiday on the calendar just hold off that budgeted money for a few days. You will hate to go back to the store and realize you bought something full price when in a few days it is half price.
4. Check Sale racks first. Sometimes you will find something beautiful for a better price than just picking out whatever is on display. Something I learned working in retail is that 70% of the merchandise will go on sale at some point.
5. Beware of the catch "sales". This may sound contradicting from the last point, but it's not. DO NOT BUY JUST BECAUSE IT'S ON SALE. If you don't LOVE it, don't buy it. Stores put on strategic sales to get people to buy stuff they do not need. Take advantage of the sale, do not let the sale take advantage of you.
6. Keep tags & receipts. We all are guilty of buying something we will never use or wear. So a habit I've gotten myself used to is to keep the tags and receipts of everything I've purchased. You usually have 30 days to return an item, if you come home and realize that you purchased something on a whim make the trip to return the item, with the money given back you might find something you actually do like!
I hope these tips came in helpful. 'Til next time :)